MS. KAREN MUMMAW
ACTING CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER,
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Ms. Karen E. Mummaw, a member of the Senior Foreign Service with the rank of Minister-Counselor, is currently the Acting Chief Information Officer for the U.S. Department of State. As the Acting CIO and leader of the Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM), she establishes the strategic direction of technology at the Department. This strategy encompasses the development and implementation of cybersecurity management, IT modernization, and IT service delivery to all Department offices, including the 275 overseas posts. She is directly responsible for IRM’s budget of $720 million and oversees the Department’s total IT budget of approximately $2.4 billion.
Previous roles include:
- Deputy Chief Information Officer – IRM- Budget, Management and Planning Directorate
- Deputy Executive Director – European and Eurasian Affairs and International Organization Affairs
- Deputy Executive Director – Administration and Information Resource Management Bureaus
- Deputy Management Officer – US Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan
- Deputy Management Officer and Information Management Officer – US Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
- Division Chief - Customer Liaison Division for the Bureau of Information Resource Management
- Executive Assistant for the Chief Information Officer for the Department and Bureau of Information Resource Management
Ms. Mummaw has spent nearly 30 years supporting foreign affairs around the globe. Her successes have resulted in the conferral of several diplomatic awards and distinctions. Ms. Mummaw holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Pittsburgh. A native of Pennsylvania, she is part of a Foreign Service tandem couple and has two children.